Thursday, January 13, 2011

Upcoming Posts

So I've been thinking a lot about the recent posts I've bumped out, and feel like I should start applying some of that mechanical theory into practice. I have a couple of purposes in doing so, one, in showing the applicability of the theory towards academic work, two to show that a cohesive study of video gaming is worthwhile as both a marketing and production device. If we can develop a better understanding of the mechanics of games, and the connections between media objects, we can simultaneously develop a marketing strategy that doesn't lump together games on mere genre (Call of Duty and Halo must automatically appeal to the same people, since they are first-person shooters!), or textual material (DC Comics Universe must appeal to comic book readers, and comic book readers alone!). Needless to say, I believe there are overarching cultural structures informing the mechanics behind games, and it is in the best interests of both marketing firms and game developers to better understand the objects they work with.

In light of that, I'm going to start work on a brief cultural criticism of World of Warcraft, based loosely on the works of Plato and Marx. I am also working on a general evaluation of casual gaming based on the writing of Arthur Schopenhauer.

No comments:

Post a Comment